Goal: Everyone in Peterborough will have enough income to meet basic needs, achieve health and reach their full potential.
Empower & Address Needs:
- Advocate for increases to Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) income support rates
- Work towards a living minimum wage; make Peterborough a living wage community.
- Develop innovative and flexible opportunities to earn more income.
- Ensure adequate funding for housing stability and ‘necessary’ benefits; health, employment and children’s recreation.
- Advocate for provincial pharmaceutical, vision and dental care for all people with low incomes
- Enable more people with lived experience to have a voice and con- tribute.
- Provide public education and information on income security needs and solutions.
- Improve opportunities for all people living with low incomes to save for their futures.
- Improve participation in the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) and the Canada Learning Bond (CLB).
- Contribute to local, provincial and federal initiatives to improve income security: Basic Income Guarantee (BIG), ODSP Action Coalition, Put Food in the Budget, Workers Action Centre.
- Work towards a Basic Income Guarantee.
- Contribute to effective social assistance reform.
- Increase community participation in the municipal budget process.
Facts: Over 19% of children in the Greater Peter- borough live in poverty – nearly 1 in 5. Nearly 50% of our communities population is in the Lower Half of the National income Distribution. According to the 2011 National Household Survey, our community`s median income is $28,992. ODSP caseloads in Peterborough have in- creased by 4.9% since 2012-2013. The income for a single person on Ontario Works falls $11,000 below the LICO; for a single person on ODSP it falls $8,000 below.
Partners: Community Volunteers, Peterborough County-City Health Unit, Peterborough Community Legal Centre, Housing Resource Centre, Peterborough Health Coalition, Peterborough Social Planning Council, Peterborough Social Services, Peterborough LETS